The instructions provided here will allow a content editor to create a simple form. Forms are primarily used to collect pertinent data from readers, but may also be used to poll readers and host contests/giveaways. Information can be as simple as name, address and phone number or as complex as personal choices.
Before You Begin
Before creating a form, you should consider:
- What type of information are you collecting?
- What is the driving force for readers to fill out the form?
- How should the form flow?
- Will the form require rules?
- Who, internally, will be handling the form submissions?
1) Create a New Form
From within the Publishing tab in Rivista, click the Forms link on the navigation menu on the left. Click the New button below the list of previously created forms.
2) Form Details
Adding form details allows you to control the input and output functions of your form. We strongly recommend that you enter all fields followed asterisk.
|Title*||This is the Title of the form in Rivista. This is not visible to the reader.|
|From Email Address*||The from email address listed when receiving response emails internally|
|Email Subject*||Subject line listed when receiving response emails internally|
|Recipient List||A list of employees to receive the response emails|
|Response Header||Brief text describing the form that is added to the response email body|
|Allow Attachments*||Select whether or not attachments will be allowed with the form. Attachments will be linked in the response email|
|Hide Description Field|
|Hide File Source Field|
|Hide File Title Field|
|If attachments are allowed, indicate what file types are acceptable|
|Max File Attachments||The maximum number of attachments a reader may submit per form entry|
|Attm Input Field Size||(what is recommended?)|
|On completion redirect to||A default confirmation is already assigned. If you wish to have custom Thank You page you must create the page separately and add the relative url in this field.|
|Max Submissions||This setting will put a cap on how many submissions the form will allow before giving ERROR. The setting is typically left blank|
|Submission Limit Reached||If Max Submission is set, this is the message that any reader attempting to access the form will receive|
|Once Per User*||Allow users to submit the form once or as many times as they like|
|Already Submitted Message||If Once Per User is set to No, the Already Submitted Message will be delivered to those readers that have already submitted the form. This function is powered by ip address, meaning that readers can submit from different computers or devices. However, if readers within an office share an IP address, only one reader will be allowed to submit the form.|
|Email Response Template||The text included in the confirmation email to the reader.|
|Use HTML Mode|
3) Form Layout
|Figure 1: Form buttons in editor toolbar|
|Create a New Form Block
(Figure 1: A)
|All forms elements (text fields, check boxes, submit button) MUST be within the bounds of the form block.
When the Form Properties dialogue box appears, title the form by filling in the Name field with all lower case and no spaces text.
Insert a Checkbox
(Figure 1: B)
Name: field name
|Insert a Radio Button
(Figure 1: C)
Name: field name
|Insert a Text Field
(Figure 1: D)
|Insert a Multi-Line Text Area
(Figure 1: E)
|Name: field name
Mandatory: is the field required to submit the form
Value: enter text here if the field should have text by default
|Insert a Selection Field
(Figure 1: F)
|Name: field name
Set as selected value:
Allow multiple selections:
Mandatory: is this required to submit the form
|Insert a Submit Button
(Figure 1: G)
|Name: field name
4) Add the Form to a Page
- Create a Page (link to Quick Guide: Create a Page)
- Recommended page template for forms is index.tpl
- Select the new form from the Available Modules in Add & Arrange Modules
- Add the form to the middle position of Selected Modules in Add & Arrange Modules
- Save and preview the page
5.) Other Considerations
- Introduction paragraph at the top of the form page
- Advertising in the right rail of the form page
- Link to the form from the homepage to drive traffic to the form
More Complex Forms
The Support team (email@example.com) can assist you with large/complex forms such as Best Of forms. We will begin production on the form after all details necessary have been submitted. Depending on the complexity of the form, you can expect it will be ready in 3-7 business days. Please allow an extra 5 business days for very complex forms. The form will be created on a non-published page. The Support Developer will ask for feedback or if you approve the form, you may publish at any time.
- Vote Rigging
- You are responsible for adhering to the rules set forth by your state, please review the rules and regulations associated contests.
Survey vs. Form
- Use the survey editor for polls that are just for fun, it's quick and simple
Managing your Data
- Form submissions may be emailed directly to an individual or group of individuals for convenience
- Form submissions may be downloaded from within Rivista. Find the form under Forms and click Download Submissions at the bottom.
Related Topics & Features
- Create a Page
- Create an Article